VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE DR. ROBERT VIDEO
Dr.Robert is Aclam’s new overdrive pedal and the most accurate replica of the legendary VoxUL730 amp, famously used by The Beatles on Sgt. Pepper’s and Revolver. We are holding a giveaway contest on Instagram, and three people can be the lucky winner of a Dr.Robert pedal hand-signed by Klaus Voormann, artwork designer of the pedal and the cover of the legendary Revolver album.
Contestants were asked to be as creative as possible and to show us how much they love The Beatles. We have selected three awesome people who have all the qualities to win the contest. But there can only be one winner: the video with most likes will win!
HOW TO VOTE FOR THE WINNER?
- Connect on Instagram and follow @aclamguitars.
- Watch the three videos of the finalists on our account and give a like to the one that you think deserve the most to win!
- Feel free to share the post on your own social media. Only the likes on Aclam's posts will be taken into account.
- The video with most likes on July 2nd, 3:00 pm UTC+02:00 will be the winning video.
1. Aclam is the sole organizer of the contest. The contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Instagram, The Beatles or any other social network.
2. The contest is managed by Aclam Guitars, the commercial brand of the company LLEVINAC SL, with registered office at C / Consell de Cent, 201, 08011 Barcelona.
3. There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
4. Post entries must be all done by June 23rd 11:59 p.m. UTC+02:00. Anything published later than the deadline won’t be considered valid.
5. Only one entry will be accepted per person. Multiple entries from the same person will be disqualified.
6. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
7. There is no territorial restriction to enter the contest, however Aclam is not responsible for the export duties that may arise according to your country legislation and shipping costs may apply.
8. The competition is open to anyone aged 18 years or over except employees of LLEVINAC SL and their close relatives and anyone otherwise connected with the organisation or judging of the competition.
9. The first phase of the competition ends on June 23rd. Aclam will select 3 videos that, according to the jury, deserve to win the prize, and let the audience choose their favorite video. Aclam will re-publish the 3 videos on their Instagram account on June 25th, and the winner will be the video with the most likes. The deadline for the second phase of the contest is July 2nd 3:00 pm. UTC+02:00.
10. Aclam will contact the winner by private message on Instagram within 24 hours of the giveaway closing and make a public announcement on our account. In case the winner doesn’t claim his prize within 30 days, the second video with most likes will win.If the second winner doesn’t claim his prize within 30 days, the third video with most likes will win. Finally, if the third winner doesn’t claim his prize within 30 days, the prize will not be attributed to anybody.
11. People submitting the video with the #drrobertcontest hashtag give the rights to Aclam to repost their content. If, for any reason, you no longer wish to participate in the giveaway, please do not hesitate contact Aclam via email or private message on Instagram, your content would be removed from Aclam’s account immediately.
12. The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of an anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
13. The prize is as follows: Dr. Robert Overdrive Pedal hand-signed by Klaus Voormann.
14. The prize is as stated and no cash or other alternatives will be offered. The prizes are not transferable.
15. Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
Introduced in 1966 these state-of-the-art guitar amps mixed a solid-state preamp with a tube power amp section.
Tubes were standard at that time but had the inconvenience of being voluminous and prone to fail, plus they needed bigger transformers due to impedance matching and power requirements. Transistors were the solution as they were way smaller, reliable and took much less energy to operate. So, in 1965, Vox engineer Dick Denney decided to develop a hybrid amp with a solid-state preamp and tube powered amp section.
Thanks to the relatively new transistor technology, lots of features could be added. Top of the line models included two channels with three band eq each, distortion, tremolo and reverb.
There were many variants with different power ratings, but the ones used by The Beatles were the UL730 (30w) and UL7120 (120w).
Unfortunately, aside from The Beatles, those amps weren't popularly used at the time and most of them ended being returned to Vox for their disposal.
Now they are the missing link between tube and solid-state amps.
The Dr. Robert is based on the Normal channel of our Vox® UL730 S/N: 3042. We traced the original tag board circuits and measured each component’s value to make the closest replica of the amp’s soul and character.
One of the keys of its tone is the “Middle” control which is one of the most interesting mid-range eq ever found on an amp. By turning it counterclockwise, a great amount of mid-frequencies will be subtracted creating a scooped sound. On the other hand, when it's turned clockwise it will bring out all the mids and the signal will build up in gain. By tailoring the “Middle” knob you can control both midrange and saturation.
As the solid-state preamp of the UL730 doesn’t create much distortion by itself we’ve coupled it with a custom FET saturation engine to mimic the attributes of the tube power amp section. Not happy with that, we’ve gone even further creating the “Mach Schau!” section, which adds saturation to your main sound and includes an independent volume control to allow you to have both a rhythmic and a solo tone.
Sometimes you can’t trust the internet or an old schematic! We’ve found major discrepancies between the published schematic and the real thing, such as component types and values, so we can assure this is the closest you can get to the rarest Vox amp!
Following the preamp there’s a custom FET based circuit emulating the saturation produced by the UL730 EL84’s tube power amp section.
Additionally, the circuit works with the same voltages found on the original amp thanks to a charge pump circuit which takes the 9VDC from the battery or DC plug and converts it to 18VDC.
SMART TRACK FASTENING SYSTEM
All our pedals use a custom enclosure designed to match perfectly our Smart Track pedalboards. Using the side thumb screws, you’ll be able to lock safely the stompbox into one of our pedalboards. It also was designed with the other pedalboard options in the market in mind.
MACH SCHAU! FUNCTION
Extra saturation function via a footswitch with an independent volume control. Hit it when the venue’s manager wants you to play harder!
We’re so honored to have Mr. Klaus Voormann, designer of The Beatle’s Revolver album cover, sign the artwork for the Dr. Robert!
HIGH END COMPONENTS AND TRUE BYPASS SWITCHING:
We made an extra effort to put the finest and closest components to the original amp on the Dr. Robert. Carbon comp resistors, Nichicon Fine Gold and Wima caps, Alpha pots and switches makes the Dr. Robert a reliable pedal with a superb tone.
CIRCUIT TAILORED FOR BOTH GUITAR AND BASS INSTRUMENTS:
Although based on the UL730 preamp, the UL400 series (designed for bass) shared almost the same circuitry. When doing tests using different instruments and amps we noticed the Dr. Robert sounded flawless with bass too! By tuning the FET circuit a bit, we managed to make the Dr. Robert suitable for both guitar and bass. No low-end drops resulting in a prefect preamp and distortion tool to plug directly to the desk or into an amp.
SHE SAID SHE SAID
SGT. PEPPER'S (CASINO RHYTHM GT)
SGT. PEPPER'S (LEAD)
AND YOU BIRD CAN SING
Dimensions: 13,6 x 8,7 x 5,5cm (5,4” x 3,4” x 2,2”) with knobs
Bypass: True bypass
Current Draw: minimum 40mA
Power requeriments: 9V DC Center Negative 100mA minimum or a a 9V battery
Included: 1 x Anti-sliding rubber pad & 1 x Velcro® pad